eptember is now upon us, and so it is a good time to take a look at the various ways in which you can get involved in the life of saint benedict’s table in the coming year. You can actually get more information on most of what is listed here by exploring this website, but here is the short version of things:
- Hear the Silence – a monthly Saturday evening liturgy of music, prayer, readings and silence takes place at the church at 7:00pm (generally on the third Saturday evening of each month, though that changes from time to time, so it is best to check the site each month) from September through May. The first one for the season is set for Saturday September 19.
- ideaExchange – a monthly series of conversations on a whole host of topics, which we hold at Aqua Books, 274 Garry Street, just south of Portage Avenue. The dates for this fall are October 24, November 14, and December 5. Each evening starts at 7:30 and wraps up by 9:00pm.
- Table Talk – a very conversational home-based weekly bible study, held one evening a week.. Each session is relatively self-contained, as we look together at the readings for the coming Sunday liturgy. We’re still juggling the schedule to see which night of the week will work for Table Talk this year.
- Breakfast Clubs – two breakfast book groups, which meet on alternating Wednesday mornings to explore a variety of different books. One group meets from 7:30 to 8:30 at Wanabee’s on Broadway, while the other meets from 8:00 to 9:00 at the Black Sheep Diner on Ellice. There are a couple of open chairs at these tables, so if you’re interested please let us know.
- Lectio Divina – 7:00pm on October 20 and 27, November 3 and 10. Lectio divina (Latin for “holy reading”) is an ancient practice of prayerful reading, which calls the participant to study, listen and ultimately pray particular scriptural texts. Over these four sessions, facilitator Rachel Twigg-Boyce will introduce us to this method of prayer by having us hear and pray particular passages, followed by some time together in conversation. These sessions will take place in the small chapel at the church.
- Parent and pre-school group – We’re pleased to be able to offer up a bi-weekly opportunity for parents and babies or toddlers to spend a morning together. For more information, or to connect with Gillian and Steve (who are spear-heading this intiative), please contact us.
- HOME Uganda coffee nights – The founders of the HOME/Omuka ministry, Lola and Roger Mugabi, are in Winnipeg for a few months, recharging their batteries and reconnecting with friends and supporters. We’re hosting two coffee nights to give people the opportunity to learn a bit more about what they’re doing, with one set for Monday October 5 and one for Friday October 9. The evenings will take place in homes, and will each be limited to 20 participants. To sign up for one, or to learn more, please contact us.
- November 14 – 17 lecture series, with special guest Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove – as part of marking the fifth anniversary of our establishment as a church community, we’re sponsoring a series of events with this noted author and speaker. Along with the more formal appearances, we’re also going to offer something of a round table afternoon with Jonathan for saint ben’s members on Saturday November 14 at the church. Details to follow.
We should also let you know that Jonathan’s visit with us is the first in a series of events marking our 5th anniversary as a church community. It was in October 2004 that we became an official mission congregation of the Anglican Diocese of Rupert’s Land, which we more formally celebrated on the 1st Sunday of Advent that same year.